Worship Times:
Regular - 10:30 am
Summer - 10:00 am with a Junior Congregation available
Church School Times:
Regular - 10:45 am
Summer - 10:15 am
About Us

A Brief History of Lucknow United Church
The village of Lucknow came into existence on September 21st, 1858. In 1862 the new Wesleyan Mission – Lucknow was formed. The Quarterly Board Minutes of 1867 list the points on the mission as Lucknow, Hope, Harris, Durham Line, Millers and Mathers. Meetings in the village of Lucknow were first held in a school house on Havelock Street (the old Lucknow Public School) until January 8th, 1968. In 1870 a church and parsonage were finished and people were becoming more versed and established in doctrines and principles of Methodism. This building was later moved. Over a period of years it was used as a blacksmith shop, a livery business, a garage, a fire hall and a feed store, before being demolished in 1977.

By 1875 the Wesleyan Church was too small. A twenty-four foot addition was made, with a gallery at the end and two class rooms. A chandelier was added, and the building was painted and varnished with re-opening services held on November 21st, 1875. The cost of the improvements was over $650.00. Lucknow became a single charge with 104 members in 1878.

An 1883 issue of the Lucknow Sentinel mentions that Union Services of the Presbyterian and Methodist congregations were held periodically – with record attendances. On Sunday, December 6th, 1885 a new church building on the corner of Havelock and Campbell streets was opened and dedicated.

In February 1886, the church adopted the envelope system for raising the ministers salary and also collected pew rents which, it seemed, were not easy to collect. Anyone considering membership was on trial for a period of time and a member could be expelled for a misdemeanor. It was recommended that the pastor be granted a free pew.

In 1909 a pipe organ was installed at the agreed upon price of $1300.00. In 1913 a bell was purchased from McShane Bell Company, Baltimore. The cost was $329.00 and it was guaranteed for fifteen years. It was rung before the services, during a funeral procession of any member and sometimes as a fire bell. A church shed, where the present day bowling alley is located, was kept in good condition for the horses and buggies. The acetylene gas lighting system was replaced in 1920 by electric lighting.

In the early 1900's the sacrament was referred to as the Love Feast. In 1909, there were heated discussions concerning the important celebration and pew communion was introduced. Church union was first discussed as early as 1912. In 1924, a resolution was passed and sent to the Federal and Provincial Governments of approval of the union. The Lucknow Methodist Church and the Lucknow Presbyterian Church became Lucknow United Church on June 10th, 1925.

A new shed was built in 1928 and the organ was rebuilt and electrified in 1950. Various upgrades were completed over the 1950fs to the church and the parsonage. In February 1959, the Trustees were authorized to purchase the property to the immediate north of the church for the purposes of building something to relieve the overcrowding at Sunday School. Purchase price: $7200.00. The official opening of the new manse and Christian Education wing was on April 20th, 1969.

Notes for this summary are taken from "What Do Those Stones Mean to You?" A History of Lucknow United Church 1862-1985h – including the 2 quotes noted above. Copies of this very informative book are still available at the Church.